Permits & Inspections

For permitting questions, call 406-552-6635. Permit applications, approval time, and relevant codes are listed by individual permit type below.


Inspections for existing permits can be scheduled online or by calling 406-552-6040. Building inspection information is on our resources page.

Development Services Permit Types

The following permits are available in the Development Services Office, located on the west end of the first floor in City Hall. Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. 
  • ADA Permit and Checklist - for paving construction work improvements.
  • Right-of-way – required to work on sidewalks or occupy streets or sidewalks.
  • Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) – required for all work on development, parcel, or lot over one (1) acre in size.
  • Excavation – required for water, sewer, storm sewer, and other utilities.
  • Paving, grading, ADA are often required as part of a building permit when other work is being done.
  • Fences – find out if your fence needs a permit before you build.
  • Building – find out if your project requires a building permit.
  • Commercial building permits
  • Residential building permits
  • Sign permit application
  • Zoning Compliance Permit 
  • Street Use Permit required to hold a parade, a demonstration, a race/fun run, or other special events that take place on streets or sidewalks. A $145 fee required.
  • Residential Block Party Permit No fee.
  • Alcohol Permit required if alcohol is being served in a private parking lot, or as part of a street use permit or residential block party permit. Damage deposit required.
  • Historic Preservation Permit are required for alterations to historic properties that are individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 


All connections and repairs to the city's sewer system require an excavation permit from Development Services. For other permit types, the jurisdictional area is the city limits. Any inquiries on building permits outside the city limits, except for city sewer permits, can be directed to the County Building Inspection Office at 406-258-3701.

Other Permits

The following permits are not issued by Development Services. More information is available from the appropriate department’s page.
Contact Us