Construction BMPs & Permits

NEW! Permit Fee Changes

On September 21, 2020 the Missoula City Council approved the following amendments to the current Engineering Fee Schedule. The current SWPPP and Grading Permit fees have been recinded and the new Storm Water Permit and Dry Well Approval fees have been added.  Implementation dates are October 1, 2020, for the Dry Well Approval and January 1, 2021, for the Storm Water Permit.  These permits will apply only to projects that begin after these effective dates and are not retroactive to projects currently in progress.  

Detailed information on the permits, fees, and checklists is provided in the links below. 

Best Management Practices (BMPs)

Do your part to protect Missoula's water quality by keeping all sediment on your construction site. Follow the Montana State manual for Erosion and Sediment Control BMPs and Construction Field Guide.  The City of Missoula also has a Utilities Map available for your reference.

Sediment Control For All Construction Activities

Construction permit holders must prevent all mud, dirt, rock, sand, and debris from being spilled or dragged onto streets and rights-of-way outside the construction site. This includes proper set-up of temporary construction site access (see STD-408) and construction site cleanup and right-of-way protection (see Admin Rule 414).

Storm Water Permits

Any construction work where the grade of the lot or parcel is altered more than three feet requires a Grading, Drainage and Erosion Permit to be submitted to City of Missoula Development Services for review. This is dictated by Ordinance 3580's MMC 13.26 (PDF) and  MMC 13.27 (PDF). Exclusions may apply where the site's original slope is less than 5%. Grading, drainage, and hillside standards for slopes greater than 5% are listed in the Residential Site Plan and Commercial Site Plan checklists. If you require assistance contact Development Services at 406-552-6635. Additionally, all owners and operators must be aware of all underground utilities prior to digging. For utility locates call 811.

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3

Missoula SWPPP Instructions

Any construction activity that results in disturbance of one acre or greater total land area requires additional permit coverage. This total disturbance may include any clearing, excavating, grading, stockpiling earth materials, placement or removal of earth material performed during the construction project. If so, the construction activity’s owner or operator is required to follow the below steps:

  1. Obtain and submit to Montana DEQ the Storm Water Construction General Permit Application Package. For this, the owner or operator is fully responsible. This 2018 Montana DEQ application package may include the items listed below:
  2. Montana DEQ will review and will provide an approval letter.
  3. Once the Storm Water Construction General Permit Application Package has been approved by Montana DEQ, then the following should be submitted to City of Missoula’s Development Services:
    • A copy of the Notice of Intent (NOI) provided to Montana DEQ;
    • A copy of the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) provided to Montana DEQ; and
    • A copy of Montana DEQ’s confirmation letter.
  4. City of Missoula’s Development Services’ engineering staff will review. And when approved, the City will then issue a permit for your construction activity.
  5. If the construction activity requires a permit transfer, both Montana DEQ and the City of Missoula Development Services require the owner or operator to submit a Permit Transfer Notification (PTN).
  6. When your construction activity is completed to the specific item instructions, submit a Notice of Termination (NOT). This is to be submitted to both Montana DEQ and the City of Missoula Development Services engineering staff.

Active Construction Sites

Active construction sites within the City of Missoula can be viewed on the road report map. If you find an active construction site not on this map, please email the Development Services’ Permit Review Supervisor or call 406-552-6349.

The Missoula Valley Water Quality District (MVWQD), a division within the Missoula City-County Health Department, responds to illicit discharges.

If you would like to report an illicit discharge or have a storm water construction site concern you may use the online reporting form or call 406-258-4890 during regular business hours or for an after-hours matter, please call 911.